This is a Request for Information ("RFI") as defined in FAR 15.201(e). The U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs Network Contracting Office 22 ("NCO 22") on behalf of the VA San Diego Healthcare System ("VASD"); collectively ("VA") hereby issues this ("RFI") for the purpose of gathering information to formulate a comprehensive printing strategy, and identify qualified vendors who are able to meet the requirements. The VA is open to alternative ideas. Respondents are encouraged to provide information about alternatives that can help the VA better define its requirements and obtain a contract management solution that meets its needs.
The purpose of this RFI is to gather information regarding software and solutions that provides detailed user level printing intelligence and reporting to enable the implementation of a comprehensive print strategy. The solution will assist in enforcing policy and managing users printing habits in-line with the overall strategy to ensure optimal performance and cost efficiencies. The solution will specifically have the ability to manage the print infrastructure, monitor usage, resolve issues, account for devices, and enhance productivity while reducing our "global footprint".
The VA is requesting information on each vendor's capabilities to provide implementation and support functionality for this project.
The VA will evaluate the responses to this RFI based on the vendor's ability to:
1. Meet the functional and technical requirements described in this RFI as evidenced by the RFI responses and follow-up exchanges with vendors;
2. Provide VA with a full analysis of our printing environment including network printers, USB/LPT/Serial printers, copiers/Multi-Function Devices (MFD);
3. Provide a detailed diagram of all printer and copier/MFD locations throughout the hospital;
4. Capture all required data necessary to conduct their analysis, while meeting all security requirements of the VA;
5. Print capturing software must remain behind the VA's firewall;
6. Cannot connect to an outside server;
7. If it must send print capture report to a server, the server must reside inside the VA's firewall;
8. Vendors will assume all costs associated with this project. VA will provide a dedicated server if needed.
Final vendor selection will be based on the evaluation of the RFI responses, information obtained through independent research, reference checks, product demonstrations, and such other factors as the VA, in its sole discretion, may consider relevant.
DESCRIPTION OF CURRENT STATE
The VA has approximately 5000 users and 1,749 printers at 14 different locations/facilities. VA has a variety of models and types; from local or networked laser printers, label/wristband printers, and ink-jets, to local or networked Multi-Function Devices (MFDs) and other large laser jets. Selected vendor will be provided with specific configuration and detailed information of the printers. Floor plan(s) will be provided electronically or hardcopy upon start of project.
VA Current Locations/Facilities:
1. VA Medical Center (Parent Facility): 3350 La Jolla Village Dr., San Diego, CA 92161
2. VA Oceanside Clinic: 1300 Rancho Del Oro Road, Oceanside, CA 92057
3. VA Escondido Clinic: 815 East Pennsylvania Ave, Escondido, CA 92025
4. VA Mission Valley Clinic: 8810 Rio San Diego Dr, San Diego, CA 92108
5. VA Imperial Valley Clinic: 1600 South Imperial Avenue, El Centro, CA 92243
6. VA Chula Vista Clinic: 835 Third Avenue, Chula Vista, 91910
7. Wellness & Vocational Clinic (WAVE): 4525 Mission Gorge Place, San Diego, CA 92120
8. San Marco Vet Center: One Civic Center Dr., Suite 140, San Marcos, CA 92069
9. San Diego Vet Center: 2790 Truxtun Road, Suite 130, San Diego, CA 92106
10. Chula Vista Vet Center: 180 Otay Lakes Road, Suite 108, Bonita, CA 91902-2439
11. Financial Resource Management Anne: 9605 Scranton Rd, Suite 650 , San Diego, CA 92121
12. Business Office: 9645 Scranton Rd, Suite 140, San Diego, CA 92121
13. VA HR Management Annex: 5120 Shoreham Pl., Ste 100, San Diego, CA 92122
14. Patient Care Call Center: 8989 Rio San Diego Dr #360, San Diego, CA 92108
BUSINESS NEED/STATEMENT OF ISSUES
VA currently has no established tools to monitor print volumes, printer related issues, or an automated asset management system.
VA will provide a dedicated server if needed for this project. Upon completion of the project, server will be wiped. The provider understands that all data collected will be the property of the VA and will be used by the VA to develop a needs assessment for a future Managed Print Service (MPS) for the facility. Furthermore the vendor understands that the collected data will be used as part of a solicitation and will be shared among all interested parties.
OVERVIEW OF SOLUTION REQUIREMENTS
VA is expecting a flexible solution with the abilities to:
a. Capturing all network print jobs going to our print servers
b. Capturing all print jobs from slave printers connected via USB or parallel ports
i. Print capturing software must remain behind the VA's firewall
ii. Cannot connect to an outside server
iii. If it must send print capture report to a server, the server must reside inside the VA's firewall
c. Vendor must plot the locations of all printer, copier/MFD, and fax machines on to digital floor plans which will be provided by the VA.
d. Vendor will also screen the all various department's printing needs by surveying some of the managers and supervisors from each Service/Departments
i. Identify issues with current printing environment
ii. Identify potential recommendations to resolve issues
e. Vendor will provide an estimated cost associated with the current printing environment
i. Total Annual cost
ii. Total Monthly cost
iii. Cost associated by individual departments in the hospital
iv. Overall total cost per page
f. Please describe in detail the plan and process your company uses to perform the analysis
VENDOR PROFILE/COMPANY OVERVIEW
Please provide the following information:
a. Company name, headquarter address, city, state, zip code, telephone, and fax numbers.
b. Name, title, address, phone and fax numbers, and e-mail address of the primary contact person for the proposal phase of this project.
c. URL's for websites that describe your company and its capabilities.
GENERAL PRODUCT INFORMATION
Please provide the following information:
a. A general description of your product offerings and solutions as it relates to this RFI.
b. A general description of the technology platform and architecture.
c. Options you offer to customize and extend your product.
d. Available hardware and software configurations to run your application(s). Please provide recommended minimum system requirements based on the information provided in this RFI.
e. A list of five references similar in size of VA San Diego Healthcare System.
IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPPORT SERVICES
Please provide the following information:
a. Software licensing options provided by your company.
b. Professional implementation services provided by your company or through partnerships.
- Report creation and installation service offered.
c. Describe staffing model for in-house support for a company similar in size and specialty mix to VA San Diego Healthcare System. Please include initial implementation and ongoing support requirements in terms of FTEs and skill set(s) required.
d. Training services provided by your company or through partnerships.
e. Software maintenance and support services provided by your company or through partnerships.
f. Describe the cost structure and contract term requirements.
g. Describe the requirements / next steps for implementing.
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS AND STRENGTHS
Please document aspects of your company, your products and services that differentiate you from your competitors.
Please answer the following questions regarding the provided solution.
1. How will your solution capture USB/LPT printing from the desktops?
2. Will client have to be installed on the print server and/or PCs?
3. Will the client connect to a server? If so where will the server reside? (data cannot be sent outside of the VA firewall)
4. How will the solution support multiple vendors and multiple print device types and models?
5. How will the solution comply with security requirements?
6. How will the Vendor provide one on-site representative to administrate or oversee solution?
This RFI is issued solely for information and planning purposes and does not constitute a solicitation. In accordance with FAR 15.201(e), responses to this notice are not offers and cannot be accepted by the Government to form a binding contract. Respondents are solely responsible for all expenses associated with responding to this RFI. All information received in response to this RFI will be treated as business confidential information, and exempted from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. Nonetheless, submitters should properly mark their responses if the information is confidential. Response to the RFI will not be returned.
A solicitation is not currently available. If a solicitation is issued it will be announced at a later date, and all interested parties must respond to that solicitation announcement separately from the responses to this announcement. A response to this RFI is not a request to be added to a prospective bidders list or to receive a copy of the solicitation.
HOW TO RESPOND
Responses to this RFI shall be e-mailed to Mr. Alan Trinh, Chief, Specialized Section at: email@example.com and a copy to Mr. Duc Nguyen, Chief Information Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, December 12, 2010, at 10:00 A.M. PST. Telephone responses will not be accepted.